Thursday, February 12, 2009

Izzy plays in the SNOW

Izzy and I went up to Yuba Gap over the past two days so that Izzy could experience some snow before she matriculates into Advanced Training on the 21st. We were invited to go snowshoeing with some friends to celebrate Cheryl's birthday. Sally was kind enough to open her cabin to all of us - six women and five dogs. I was excited to go - both for the snowshoeing and because it was a very fun group.

When we arrived there was about 18 inches of fresh snow on the ground and we were treated to another 6-8 inches after we got into the cabin. The snow was not your typical Sierra Nevada snow - it has been very cold so the snow was light, fluffy powder. Izzy took to the snow in a heartbeat and resembled a porpoise as she galloped through the deep snow.


When we got up this morning, the sky had cleared and it was beautiful outside. We went for another snowshoe walk - this time in the sun. Izzy got quite the workout as she ran and played in the snow with the other dogs.


We had a terrific time hiking in the beautiful place with good friends and great dogs. We did learn that our dogs tend to be natural hitchhikers and were often right at our heels and on our shoes! All in all, a great outing with perfect weather and way too much food.

5 comments:

Gerda said...

what a great time. I never got to take irish to the snow. Glad that Izzy is enjoy her last few weeks of freedom. day 6 and irish is still in AT. yeah.

Hal's friends and family said...

My friend Judy says it's like I have a "bucket list" for Izzy and I'm checking the things off in the last couple of weeks... I think we need to coin a phrase for pre-AT lists of things to do that have nothing to do with "kicking the bucket."

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures! That is so cool Izzy, I mean cold. Didn't your paws tingle? When the snow falls out of the sky does it look anything like the tears that come out of our PR's eyes? I'm gonna see Ira tomorrow; may be he can tell me what snow is really like.
I bet your PR let you snuggle with her during those cold nights. It doesn't get any better than that. I'm taking advantage of all the snuggling and cuddling I can get because tomorrow I head to Doggie College. Maybe I'll get to see snow after I graduate.
Your Sis,
Ingrid III

Gerda said...

All this talk about snow. I sure wish i had seen it. Looks like fun and the pictures are beautiful. Well now four of us are incarcerated (i mean in advanced training). And we are ALL STILL IN

http://www.entrarhotmail.com.ar said...

It took me awhile to realize that its not actually named Saginasty. Haha. We miss you guys! Hal is completely adorable...and getting so big! Thanks for the update! :) Hope you guys find enough warm clothes so you don't freeze, haha.