Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Irish update



I concur on the drop command. I never even had to teach it to Irish, he just came knowing it. He will take any toy and if I tell him bed, over he goes. Amazing. Guess its those extra weeks that they spent with Patty and the gang that helped. Irish sleeps through the night and is fairly reliable with toiletting. He was recoiling at the thought of wearing the gentle leader but then I switched him to a medium and voila, he is responding. The first one was just too small for him. He does not like the crate but only complains marginally before he is sound asleep. I think he is just giving me a chance to change my mind. He loves being in the office and he is getting very spoiled with all the attention. I am amazed that I can put him under my desk in a downstay (no he doesn't know he is doing a downstay) and I can actually leave the office door open and he just stays there. Okay, enough gloating. I do have a growling issue so I'm curious if any of the other pups are doing this. He will growl when he plays with a toy. Not all the time and generally when he is playing by himself. Anyone else finding this one? All in all, these puppies are great. Remind me of this sentence when Irish is a teenager and I'm going crazy with his behavior.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Irish "Growl" or is it kind of a growly-singy sound?

Dara (full big sister from a previous litter) sings. First thing in the morning she picks up a toy and sings. (I take it away and she shuts up).

At work, if someone comes to the door, she will pick up a toy and sing to our visitor. I take the toy away and she shuts up. NW region says that its OK and it is just something that this line of pups will do. I just try not to encourage it.

Anonymous said...

That is a much better description of it. It is just a low grumble that he does when he plays. Nice to know its a genetic type thing and i'm not to worry too much about it. Thanks.

Hal's friends and family said...

Izzy now does the same thing with her toys but Ira was the only one to play noisily before they left. Piniella is a singer - she probably started it all and I've heard that Sequoia talks to his toys as does Durham. CCI's answer that it's in the line must be true... no problem teaching Izzy "speak!"

Gerda said...

thanks for all the feedback. Irish does respond to correction if you tell him no or take the toy away. So guess he just likes to sing like everyone else in his family

Madison said...

Irish is So cute. Conover another CCIn pup(Ravi/Blaze) does that singing growl thing. Its pretty funny.