Monday, July 7, 2008

Getting the Nursery Ready

Over the past few days (it shouldn't take this long - but, man, is it hot here!), I've been getting the whelping/puppy stuff out of storage, cleaning it, and setting up our indoor puppy area. Oh, the outdoor puppy area is currently housing the six juvenile chickens - I'll have to take a picture of them - they're definitely at that "awkward" stage.

Our first 5 litters were born in the standard CCI plastic 6 foot whelping pool which worked great. Then, I invested in a deluxe whelping box, which is terrific for the mom and pups, but is a back-breaker during the whelping process due to it's 2 foot high sides (very long arms required!).

On a tip from another breeder/caretaker, I went shopping for a smaller version of the CCI pool and found the 4 foot model - which I have to say looked WAY too small at the store ~ but, for $8.44 I figured I'd bring it home.

After all the other stuff was arranged, I got the pool and started putting newspapers in it for the big event. Then, I thought I better try it on for size... looks like Hallie and a bunch of newborns will fit until we get them moved into the whelping box when we're all through!




I call this a mother and daughter reunion. Both are probably having flashbacks!

Several friends have heard me say that our cat, Skippy, really thinks he's a Golden Retriever. He runs with the big dogs and follows them everywhere. Now, it looks like Skippy thinks he's a pregnant Golden Retriever!

Good thing just about everyone got to try out the new baby whelping pool (although, I didn't see Piniella thinking about diving in)!

No comments: